Openmoko and the Summer of Code

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Wed Mar 26 17:40:59 CET 2008

On Sunday 23 March 2008 02:19:15 Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>> > 2.) One of the main parts of the OM stack I am familiar with is the
> > "libgsmd" library on which we already has a little discussion[2] in the
> > gsmd lists. I feel work on libgsmd (or its replacement) should be the
> > top priority now and based on the discussions at the gsmd list I note
> > that its too early to port pygsmd (by emdete) to a C project based on
> > the OTAPI specs. One of the reasons[3] cited was the incomplete muxer
> > support. Is it possible to fix that over time and start working on
> > ophoned.
>
> Hmm, pushing telephony forward is IMHO indeed one of the biggest
> points. I know that emdete is working on a userpsace muxer and I also
> heard rumors about work on a kernel muxer is in preparation. Sadly I
> don't have the final vision on this. Mickey?

A stable phone middleware is critical to the future of the Openmoko platform.
One GSoc 2008 project could be to deliver the open phone daemon, evaluating
the various gsm server backends (4 options by now), chosing one, implementing
the full freesmartphone.org API and a lean-and-mean [testing] dbus client
that covers the full functionality as exported by the dbus API.

The userland MUXer is already there and works great (except some wake-up
problems in newer moko-firmwares) and we should use it. At some point of time
we may have a kernel MUXer, but userland is here _now_ and works.

:M: