Questions regarding the wakeup interrupt

Holger Freyther zecke at openmoko.org
Thu Mar 27 00:03:50 CET 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 23:16:55 andrzej zaborowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid there is no way around making the GSM stack power-state
> conscious, because responses sent from the modem while the CPU was
> asleep confuse the serial logic.
>
> Note though that (I think) Sean Chiang can program the modem to drive
> the interrupt pin exactly how the GSM stack needs it (before shipping
> obviously), so we're not limited to what logic TI has predicted for
> it.

My view on these things are a bit different, I'm interested in mass production
of GTA02 and want to know what needs to be done to get the software side in
shape and make them deployable in the factory. So I try to avoid roundtrips
and such, please keep this in mind when reading this response.

Okay, so you do not know how it is intended to work. Yes I know we can change
any software before mass production but that is pretty near and we do not
have a possibility to update the firmware in the field yet.

Regarding your serial logic point, I do not know what you mean but I think
flow control solved that issue? The modem will not send us any data as long
as we are not ready to receive it. This assumes that the buffer in the modem
is big enough. And that we do the right thing on suspend.

So let me ask again (the ones that specified and implemented it please
answer):
	- How is the wakeup handling supposed to work?
	- What is the host expected to do on suspend?
	- When will the modem toggle the GPIO/interrupt line? On any data it has?
Only on incoming phone calls and sms? only on incoming calls?

This impacts how enlightenment/Qtopia will do the suspending and if we need to
fix PolicyKit or come up with our own suspend request and suspend handler
specs (think of SM for suspend) or if we even need to touch the GSM firmware.

> >         - How to make the modem wakeup pin usable?
>
> Also note that if only the SMS and incoming call notifications are
> left enabled, even the serial data pins could be used as the wake-up
> pin.

Sure. we can speculate how things could be done and honestly I could talk
hours about it. But I'm here to bring GTA02 into mass production.

<Removed the DBus gsmd stuff as it does not apply>