[Everyone] U-Boot Testing on 03252008

Allen Lin allen_lin at openmoko.com
Fri Mar 28 04:16:39 CET 2008

>> 2. There is no different after reset
>>

> This also works for me. (I guess you get to hear that a lot in QA ;-)
>
> But perhaps you expect it to do something different from what it's
> actually designed to do. What it does is that it resets the device,
> i.e., like power cycling it. It does not affect any persistent
> configuration.
>
> So if you want to modify the environment or such, you have to enter
> u-boot through the console and do that from there. (By the way, if
> we consider this mode of operation important enough, we should also
> include that in the tests. I think for almost all practical purposes,
> DFU will be sufficient for recovering a system, and it has reasonably
> clear semantics. But I've also added some capabilities for accessing
> the environment stored in NAND.)
>
> The expected behaviour for menu item "Reset" is that it resets the
> device, which will then load u-boot from NAND and boot into the
> kernel. (Condition: don't hold AUX while doing the reset. Otherwise,
> you'd end up in NOR again.)

I'm kind of confused about this function. Why do we need to load u-boot
from NAND and boot into the kernel? If u-boot in NAND is normal, I just
need to log in U-Boot Menu from NAND and boot into kernel. If u-boot in
NAND is crash, I cannot boot from NOR Reset either. If I got some
misunderstanding, please correct me.

allen