GSM bugs

Holger Freyther zecke at openmoko.org
Mon May 5 22:55:12 CEST 2008

On Sunday 04 May 2008 15:09:28 Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Now that we have a working GSM 07.10 multiplexer, we encounter bugs that
> could not be observed in non-MUX mode.
> The latest installment is bug #1380, which I would appreciate comments for.
>
> FYI: The most critical bugs wrt. GSM in my opinion right now are:
>
> #1192 - unknown reason cause TI GSM modem always return "+CME ERROR"
> #1289 - PSC (power saving commands in muxer mode) seems to be broken
> #1376 - GSM does not respond to flow control
> #1380 - deep sleep in MUX mode on virtual channels

Okay,
I have seen the build procedure of the firmware and the information available
to Openmoko Inc. E.g. if TI is ever fixing three (a small but random number
from my head) issues you should fix serve issues where no software workaround
is feasible or will "kill" us (e.g. waking up issues and too high latency to
answer calls, but this is not the case with the above bugs).

My attempt to a classification:

Spec violation, stupidity, welcome to the real world:
	- #1289, meassure the power consumption of the modem and check if it is
entering a deep sleep at all. If it does on its own then well....

	- #1380, yeah stupid, knowing the time needed to make that happen is known,
can be probably found out. Then, like Qtopia allows, you will have to have a
timeout for each virtual channel?

Need more information:
       - #1192, we have logs. Do we have any idea how to reproduce this? Erin,
you said you have a test case? I didn't see that one. Do we have a test case?
Is there anything we can do in software? E.g. is just happening at power up?
Do we issue commands too close to eachother?

Looks bad (just by the name):
      - #1376, looks bad. The first thing probably to do would be to verify
that the modem actually sees the flow control (physically). The bug indicates
that the modem is aware of it though.... and verify that it is happening on a
GTA02 as well.

Yeah, #1376 looks bad, it would be interesting to know if it is happening on a
GTA02 as well.

z.

PS: Is it time for a disclaimer? This is just my opinion...