"PreBuffer before Audio Playback" setting with OpenMoko Media Player and iSCSI/GPRS

Nicholas A. Bellinger nab at linux-iscsi.org
Thu May 15 06:22:54 CEST 2008

Greetings Soeren,

I have recently been doing testing with remote storage with the
Freerunner using iSCSI/GPRS and iSCSI/WiFi.  While the OM mediaplayer
works very well with iSCSI storage over the Wifi link, running over a
sub 10 Kb/sec link (such as with GPRS) currently skips quite a bit, and
is going to require some tuning to get playback working over this
particular setup.  I am guessing that I need to change the pre-buffer
size to a higher value for the iSCSI/GPRS audio playback case.
SpeedEvil pointed me to playback.c, and I did notice the following code:

        // Let's have gstreamer and PulseAudio meet embedded
requirements
        g_object_set(G_OBJECT(omp_gst_audiosink), "buffer-time",
omp_config_get_pulsesink_buffer_time(), NULL);
        g_object_set(G_OBJECT(omp_gst_audiosink), "latency-time",
omp_config_get_pulsesink_latency_time(), NULL);

These currently look like they are hardcoded in persistent.c:struct
_omp_config omp_default_config.   Are these the settings that I should
be looking at wrt loading an mp3 file off of a slow network backed
filesystem/block device such as with iSCSI/GPRS..?

Many thanks for your most valuable of time.

--nab

PS: If you are interested in the iSCSI bit, the current Openmoko/iSCSI
builds are available from:

http://linux-iscsi.org/index.php/OpenMoko_Freerunner