"PreBuffer before Audio Playback" setting with OpenMoko Media Player and iSCSI/GPRS

Florent fthiery at gmail.com
Thu May 15 18:50:24 CEST 2008

Hi

>        // Let's have gstreamer and PulseAudio meet embedded
> requirements
>        g_object_set(G_OBJECT(omp_gst_audiosink), "buffer-time",
> omp_config_get_pulsesink_buffer_time(), NULL);
>        g_object_set(G_OBJECT(omp_gst_audiosink), "latency-time",
> omp_config_get_pulsesink_latency_time(), NULL);
>
> These currently look like they are hardcoded in persistent.c:struct
> _omp_config omp_default_config.   Are these the settings that I should
> be looking at wrt loading an mp3 file off of a slow network backed
> filesystem/block device such as with iSCSI/GPRS..?

AFAIK, this latency value has nothing to do with buffering time; even
if you adjust this value, it won't be noticeable (it's about the sink,
therefore the end of the pipeline).

You may want to use gstrtpjitterbuffer to do a real buffering after
the gst source, as follows:
mp3parse ! rtpmpapay ! gstrtpjitterbuffer latency=250 ! rtpmpadepay
.. where latency is in ms

It's a dirty hack, since it does rtp (+de)payloading only for using
the gstrtpjitterbuffer, but it will work. A modification of
gstrtpjitterbuffer might be needed for a proper solution.

Cheers

FLo