Automatic pop up kbd

Andy Powell openmoko at automated.it
Fri May 16 12:02:03 CEST 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 10:46, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 10:33:13 +0100 Andy Powell <openmoko at automated.it>
babbled:
> > On Friday 16 May 2008 08:53, Tick wrote:
> > > Hi Zecke,
> > >     We are going to make the kbd show and hide automatically.
> > > Would you please send a x-event  with message
> > >     "_MTP_IM_INVOKER_COMMAND"  with operations
> > > typedef enum {
> > >         MTPRemoteNone = 0,
> > >         MTPRemoteShow,
> > >         MTPRemoteHide,
> > >         MTPRemoteToggle,
> > > } MTPRemoteOperation;
> > > When ever input is needed and dismissed.
> > >

> > > Thanks.
> > > Tick
> >
> > Please can you make it possible to switch this off and / or force the
> > keyboard to hide. There's nothing worse than having an external keyboard
> > connected and being forced to waste screen real estate on something you
> > don;t need.
>
> design decision was made to remove manual control even though it has been
> there from the beginning. no can do.

is that code for 'someone just decided it shouldn't be there, we all said it
should but they just told us to get rid of it'?

how difficult is it going to be to patch this feature back in, I presume I
could write a panel plugin to send the same x event as above to toggle it
off? Or are applications going to be really annoying and toggle it for every
field causing me to track down the person that made the decision in the first
place and tie them to railway lines.

--

Andy / ScaredyCat