Automatic pop up kbd

Andy Powell openmoko at automated.it
Fri May 16 17:16:18 CEST 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 15:31, Chris Lord wrote:
> Hi all,
<snip>

> In my opinion, I have no idea why you'd ever want to manually
> enable/disable the input, unless some other design issue was causing
> this wish. To back me up, I'll point out that zero touch-screen phones
> have the ability to manually disable automatic input-method display.

Then I guess you didn't actually read what I wrote then, here it is again:

"There's nothing worse than having an external keyboard connected and being
forced to waste screen real estate on something you don;t need."

It's also particularly annoying when a keyboard pops up on the first field of
a screen covering up the actual field you wanted to fill out, unless the
keypad provides tab navigation or something.

<snip>
> (
> http://svn.o-hand.com/repos/misc/trunk/multitap-pad/src/multitap-pad-main.c
> ), instead of complaining about decisions being made that conflict with
> your wishes, you could focus that energy on writing a patch.

Actually, it was a request at first, it only became a complaint when choice
was taken away.

> If I were to write this patch, I'd suggest adding a boolean gconf key,
> something like '/desktop/poky/interface/auto_show_im' and add the
> necessary code in multitap-pad-main.c to listen to this key. This would
> require very few additions to the code (of course, adding some interface
> to configure this option and so on is another issue).

Yes, both of which are pretty trivial, but that wasn't the point I was making.

> Hope that helps explain a few things.

It only explains that you seemed to think I was saying your keyboard was shit
or something. We aren't even talking about your keyboard.  Carsten has
provided a mechanism we can use to fix his keyboard when it appears.

--

Andy / ScaredyCat