PIM Usecases

Marc Bantle openmoko at rcie.de
Thu May 22 01:47:23 CEST 2008

Hi,

I've been following the thread "Standardizing data store across
toolkits (SMS, PIM data, playlist, etc)" on the OM-community
mailing list, where Mickey posted some references to the related
GSoC project.

I read [1] and stumbled over one of the PIM use cases. It says:

  A contact's birthday is added to the profile
  - automatically create recurring calendar event

Does that use case include removing the calender event, when
that contact is removed? What if someone tries to remove the
birthday from the calender?

What I'm trying to say is, that any information duplicated in the
PIM data store - like personal anniversaries as contact and calender
data - is a potential hazard on every later access to that data, be
it removing it or synchronizing it.

Desktop Evolution and KDE-PIM are both addressing this issue
by not solving it on the data layer but on the GUI side, by including
r/o birthdays in the calender app.

Wouldn't the PIM-Service that Sören is specifying be the place
to solve the problem in middle ware? Deliver a birthday to
the contact GUI as editable and to the calender GUI as r/o. A
synchronizing app does only see the contact's birthday but no
calender entry. Just an idea!

Many commercial phones are not providing a decent solution for
this. I'd love to see Openmoko do :-)

Cheers, Marc

[1] http://www.neo1973-germany.de/wiki/pyPimd