Packaging third-party applications (Was: Meta Toolchain Release (2008 May))

Pranav Desai pranavadesai at gmail.com
Fri May 30 07:13:46 CEST 2008

On 5/29/08, Rod Whitby <rod at whitby.id.au> wrote:
> Pranav Desai wrote:
>> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Rod Whitby <rod at whitby.id.au
>> <mailto:rod at whitby.id.au>> wrote:
>>     The usual way is to add the package to OpenEmbedded, and then add
>>     it's name to the task-openmoko-feed.bb
>>     <http://task-openmoko-feed.bb> recipe so that it automatically gets
>>     built, packaged and deployed to the official download site.
>>
>> But wouldn't that mean writing a recipe for all packages that we want to
>> add?
>
> That is correct.
>
>> Many third party apps already have a makefile setup, why do you
>> want to change that ?
>
> Writing a recipe does not involve changing the existing Makefile. If the
> existing Makefile is written properly, then the recipe should be about 5
> lines long.
>
> But the major reason to do this is the one I gave below, which you
> didn't comment on.  Security and trust of third-party apps should be a
> very significant consideration for the Openmoko community.
>
>>     Also, I am much more likely to trust a package recipe that I can
>>     build and install myself using OpenEmbedded (or download from an
>>     official site where the package has been built from source by a
>>     trusted autobuild system), rather than downloading some unknown,
>>     possibly virus-tainted binary package from some random site ...

I agree with that issue, but that choice should be left to the user,
if they don't feel comfortable downloading a binary pkg, they are more
than welcome to get the src and build it themselves.

My attempt is to make existing opensource apps available for Openmoko.
If I have rewrite or wrap around the existing build process just to
fit the OE model then it seems a bit discouraging.

Maybe its trivial to include apps into OE, but currently it seems more
than that to me. And especially, with the toolchain out, it seems even
more easier to build apps as-is and just putting out the binaries for
people to use.

-- Pranav