contribute within my means ...

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Fri Aug 31 12:16:21 CEST 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 12:52:52PM +0200, Javi Roman wrote:
> I would like to contribute in GTA01 kernel development (within my
> means), but I really don't know who to begin. I have thought there are
> three ways to tackle the task:
>
> 1. To contribute with http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Kernel#Kernel_TODO
> 2. To try to fix: kernel related bugs at openmoko bugzilla.
> 3. To set up the current kernel with LTT or some thing like that in
>    order to improve the performance, regression test and so on.
>
> Can anybody advice which is the best manner to contribute in this
> field right now?

I think the best option is to look through bugzilla and fix the kernel
related bugs there.

The TODO in the wiki is likely to be outdated.

Currently, one of the areas where quite ab bit of work is needed would
be the PWM drivers for the vibrator.  Right now, the kernel driver uses
the vibrator output only in GPIO mode and switch it on/off.  However,
that GPIO can be used in timer/pwm output mode.

You can check the current backlight driver to see how the PWM of the
s3c24xx is configured.

The resulting driver would ideally be abstract enough to deal with any
kind of s3c24xx pwm, be it some backlight, a LED or the vibrator.

So even the current backlight driver should in the end be modified to be
implemented on top of the new generic s3c24xx pwm driver.

Cheers,