2 SD card slots and rootfs on internal SD card - maybe VFAT + fs images?

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat Apr 12 22:06:08 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> another device with microSD, I don't.  I have Sony Memory Stick, USB
> thumb drives, CF cards, I even have some big oldstyle SD.  I have
> nothing to share that card with.

Same thing here. My Neos are the only devices that take microSD.
However, old-style SD would qualify if you use microSD with a
full-size SD sleeve.

For me, the main occasion where I use removable Flash media for data
exchange is when traveling and I don't have my usual infrastructure
at hand and setting up networking may be difficult.

> Daniel mentioned camera pic transfer,
> that can be done in a flash-format-agnostic way using USB host to the
> camera without card ejection.

That requires gphoto or similar to be installed on the Neo. Just
being able to plug in an SD card is certainly easier if you're not

> I siad that Samba would suck badly and always caused me trouble and to
> expose the SD card as USB mass storage device.  But you pointed out that
> this is a block-level thing that would conflict with any mount in the
> device.

If the storage area shared at the block level could be unmounted
during this, access conflicts could be avoided.

I may be possible to make concurrent block-level access work (for
some definition of "work"), or even to present a file system with
an entirely different internal structure as FAT seen from the
block level. However, this seems to be more a topic for research
than for soonish deployment.

- Werner