need help with wifi

Samuel Ortiz sameo at openedhand.com
Mon Apr 21 12:08:24 CEST 2008

Hi Sean,

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 01:31:09PM -0700, Sean McNeil wrote:
> I have a wpa_supplicant built with wext. I invoke it as
>
> wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> my wpa_supplicant.conf is

> ctrl_interface=/tmp/wpa_supplicant
>
> network={
>    ssid="Guest"
>    key_mgmt=NONE
> }
So, your AP is fully open, right ?

> with the latest andy git, I get the following error when it continuously
> scans:
>
> AR6000 scan complete:
> 0
> WMI event ID : 0x1004, len = 301 too big for IWEVCUSTOM (max=256)
> AR6000 scan complete:
> 0
Ok, I would need 2 console outputs from you:
1) The output of "iwlist wlan0 scan", before running wpa_supplicant.
2) The output of "wpa_supplicant -dd -Dwext -ieth0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"
Note the additional -dd compared to your command line. This will give us
plenty of debug from wpa_supplicant.

> Can someone help point me to who is at fault here? Is it the client
> talking to wpa_supplicant, wpa_supplicant, or the kernel who is setting
> up a 301 byte buffer? The message is printed out by the kernel, but I
> don't know where the buffer originates.
It's a buffer we received from the firmware, containing BSSI data. For some
reason (most likely a huge number of IEs), it's too big to be sent to
userspace.

One more question: when you run wpa_supplicant, you keep on getting those
scan completew events, but it never actually associates with your AP ? Did
I understand you right ?

Cheers,
Samuel.