next-generation (now) MPU discussion / U-Boot vs

joerg at joerg at
Thu Apr 24 10:23:21 CEST 2008

Am Do  24. April 2008 schrieb Andy Green:
> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> | Now for real: we got a lot of additional sw-fiddling with low level
> things on
> | the small chip when comparing to the 12,95$ one, and we even aren't
> 100% sure
> | where we will hit the limits the small RAM and missing hw-serial-I/O is
> | imposing (are we?).
> No we are not sure, but it is in the right ballpark for being doable.
> Also, "additional" is not correct, 

Was talking bout small vs large chip, NOT chip vs no chip/u-Boot. So the small 
one gets us additional work.

> the fiddling is going to get done 
> somewhere, previously U-Boot soaked up a lot of this crap and that had
> downsides for us.
> | Andy: can you give to us a short memo summarizing the benefits of a
> MPU we
> | wouldn't get any other way, briefly explaining background and way it
> shall
> | work for each of those points? So everybody involved in the decision
> on MPU
> | is clear on what we are talking about, enabling us to make a more
> educated
> | decision.
> Yeah I will put something together later trying to summarize the
> elements of the discussion and contrasting against GTA02 methodology.
> It sounds like in this meeting we still first have to decide if we have
> an MPU at all before which one :-)  Not having one reduces the cost
> impact of the MPU to "optimal levels" :-)  Rather than close my ears to
> this I think we should examine the two concepts in parallel and have a
> beauty contest tomorrow by studying the ramifications either way.

Great! :-) Probably there are a lot of people who want to be sure there is an 
optimum decision on this. Maybe we can convince them.


More information about the openmoko-kernel mailing list