next-generation MPU discussion

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Apr 25 00:02:04 CEST 2008

joerg at openmoko.org wrote:
> The idea is *every* GPIO is I *and* O, so you have maximum flexibility.

Our layout girls are probably busy making "Joerg" voodoo dolls right
now ;-)

I'd say that we should consider GTA04v1 (v0 ? ;-) as a first test
balloon, where we can do things that won't make sense in the final
product, if doing those things helps us to speed up development.

This will also help us avoid endless haggling about some minor features
that may get overridden later by larger design decisions anyway.

So I'd agree with the MPU being able to do more than strictly needed.
Then, as development continues, we'll gradually get a better idea of
what we really need and what not, and then we can always decide to
remove some connections or even to pick a less powerful and cheaper
chip.

By the way, "help to speed up development" should also go for our
hardware team. If any of this sounds unreasonable for you, please don't
hesitate to raise your concerns.

It wouldn't do us any good to design a software engineer's wet dream
platform where all the system software can be easily done in half a
day, but where we need a 50-layer board and dozens of prototype runs
to get the hardware working ;-)

> BTW: which number of LED is GTA04

I don't think we know yet. I think Steve hates them a bit. I'd like
to have at least one "engineering LED" for debugging, but it doesn't
have to be visible when the case is closed :-)