How to reflash NOR using the debug board and no userspace

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Fri Aug 1 02:14:06 CEST 2008

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Rod Whitby wrote:
>> Since I can't boot the device,
>
> Oh, I see. So you've wiped your device completely clean. What did you
> do that for ? ;-)

No, I haven't wiped it clean.  I've got a GTA02 which seems to be unable
to get past the initial NOR u-boot due to Glamo problems (see the other
thread).

So I can get to userspace in perhaps 1 in 200 boots at the moment.  This
is with the debug board attached, pushing RESET1 on the debug board to
reboot, and with a 4.1V battery inserted and official Openmoko wall
charger in the USB.

I can, in about 1 in 50 tries for booting, get to a point where I can
successfully devirginate the NAND in the GTA02.

> We don't have a procedure for directly flashing the NOR (the NOR driver
> in u-boot hasn't been adapted), so I'd suggest to devirginate the NAND,
> and then use the NOR flashing procedure.
>
> If you don't want to touch the NAND for some reason, you could also
> load u-boot into memory (like the devirginator does), then use it to
> boot Linux from an SD card, and then flash the NOR.

Well, the trouble is that I can't reliably get into either the NAND or
NOR u-boot at the moment.  I'm assuming that the NOR u-boot runs first,
and it's not getting past the Glamo NWAIT problem to even get to the
point where the decision to continue with NOR u-boot or go to NAND
u-boot is made.

When the machine first powers on, what is the first piece of code to run
- NAND u-boot or NOR u-boot?

-- Rod