RFC: blow Ethernet-over-USB into a module

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Aug 1 04:12:21 CEST 2008

Jay Vaughan wrote:
> no, i do not withdraw my request, it stands, because in the immediate
> future, gadget_* drivers cannot be loaded together.

BTW, some mechanism for switching between gadget drivers in a
monolithic kernel would be a worthwhile general kernel feature
to develop.

Along with this, the ability to support the gadget side of DFU
from Linux would be desirable. (The internal mechanisms for
switching gadgets and DFU should be be somewhat related, since
you effectively withdraw and replace part of the stack. There's
only a difference in how the stack gets selected.)

I don't follow Linux USB development closely enough to be able
to tell if someone is already working on these things. But if
not, I think this could be an exiting project for someone with
a bit of time on their hands and the desire to learn really
well what's going on in the USB stack.