Packaged kernel erase on update / updating SD Card Booted kernel from package

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Thu Aug 7 15:54:55 CEST 2008

Op 7 aug 2008, om 15:45 heeft Andy Green het volgende geschreven:

> |> Perhaps what it should do on that is check for uImage.bin on / and
> |> /media/card, and if found copy the payload image over there
> |> additionally as uImage.bin.
> |>
> | Im having trouble parsing what you mean.
> |
> | /boot/uImage.bin will always be a kernel image no matter the boot
> | media, what happens extra is this is also flashed.
>
> There's another case where you updated the kernel during jffs2 rootfs
> booted session, but you also boot on SD Card other times.  Then, it
> would be good if it made sure that the kernel update action also
> updated
> what would be /media/card/boot -- previously I stuck my kernels in /
> but
> /boot is fine now I see it is the convention -- if there was a
> uImage.bin already in there.

If you change rootfs you also change your package database (it's a
different rootfs after all), so running 'opkg update ; opkg upgrade'
will upgrade the uImage in /boot (which is now on SD).

If I were using an sd card as backup rootfs I would *not* appreciate
it some update script blows away known-working kernels everywhere
outside /boot because some openmoko kernel developer has a fetish
about only using his divinely approved kernel with a zillion git
hashes stuffed in its version.