What is the purpose of fix-EVIOCGRAB-semantics.patch ??

Neil Brown neilb at suse.de
Wed Aug 13 09:13:43 CEST 2008

Hi I just spent some time trying to figure out why the EVIOCGRAB ioctl
wasn't behaving was I expected and I finally stumbled on to this
patch, which substantially changes the behaviour of EVIOCGRAB.

Would it be possible to find out what the purpose of this patch is (it
unfortunately contains no documentation)?

I can appreciate that touchpad/mouse access in the Openmoko might have
demands which are not fully supported by the current 'input'
infrastructure, but I'm hopeful that they can be accommodated without
breaking "standard" Linux functionality.

My purpose is to arrange that when the screen backlight is turned off,
the touchpad is grabbed so that any events on the touchpad can wake up
the screen without being sent to any X applications.  This can probably
be done other ways, but give that EVIOCGRAB exists, it shouldn't have
to.

Thanks for any insights provided,
NeilBrown