u-boot low-battery handling

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Tue Aug 26 20:08:32 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 07:08:43PM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:
> > Maybe the best way to come at this is going to be move GTA02 to Qi
>
> Wish that was easy ... but then the over-optimized partitioning
> scheme bites us :-( Of course, just wiping out the entire NAND and
> setting up something sane would help.

you call it over-optmizied.  I call it the only solution that I could come up
with, and that is still adhering to the spec of the NAND chip in question.  You
would have had to have about 1.5MB spare space in each partition in order to
account for the possible worst-case but still within vendor spec factory bad
block situation.  That's a lot of wasted space, something that you cannot
afford with 64MByte total size, and probably still don't want to waste with
256MB.

> Plan C: accept that sort of palative treatment for u-boot, fully
> aware that this makes it terminally unmaintainable.

just because you don't like it, it's not unmaintainable.  From my observation,
u-boot is getting more maintainable (and better maintained) every month.