Regression on U-boot without batery [was: u-boot low-battery handling]

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Aug 28 14:32:00 CEST 2008

Am Di  26. August 2008 schrieb Mike Montour:
> Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
>
> > Powered via  (this particular) 100/500mA USB-Host, none of both U_Boot
would
> > boot without battery. Though it's happily working on linux without GSM
just
> > on USB-power, after boot with battery.
>
> I have had some success (not all the time) running under Linux with USB
> power and no battery, but I had to turn off the charger through "echo 0
>  > /sys/.../chgmode" as well as turning off GSM.
>
> I have also found that WiFi stops working when the battery is removed,
> but it recovers when I re-insert the battery.
>
> >> or to apply the patch from my first email
> >> to your NAND u-boot.
> > If you point me to a kernel-image I might flash with dfu-util, I for sure
will
> > try what I find with this one.
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/mmontour/neo/u-boot-2008082501.udfu is the u-boot
> image that I'm currently using (stable git branch + my patch from last
> night).

Strange! with this u-boot my DUT GTA02 happily loads kernel, but **kernel**
**hangs** (stops boot-up) on
"pcf50633 setting up system time xxxxxxxxx critfail xxx".
Inserting bat at this point makes kernel continue (next line on console
is "xxx empty NAND...xxx" IIRC), but removing bat immediately gives a
"xxxx failed to report bat-voltage properly... xxx"
and DUT shuts down same second.

on same DUT the factory NOR-uboot (=holding AUX while inserting USB) happily
boots all the way to 2008.08 desktop, no battery needed, no hangups, no
shutdown

hmmmm... !???!

btw: booting by USB-insert with this u-boot/kernel does NOT lite up AUX.
Taking out and reinserting bat lits AUX.

/jOERG