accelerometer driver

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Aug 28 19:07:27 CEST 2008

Am Di  26. August 2008 schrieb Andy Green:
> | It seems like the accelerometers have the following:
> |
> | sensitive to losing an edge trigger
>
> We just suspect it, nobody showed it yet... it would probably be a bug
> in the driver handling or s3c stuff rather than accelerometer "feature".
>
> | occur at a periodic rate
> | access conflicts with other drivers so should be done outside of irq
>
> I have a nice patch coming that just does it bitbang the whole way using
> IRQs off as locking throughout.
>
> | Does it make sense to just turn off the irq and have the driver use a
> | delayed work queue to poll at a given rate?
>
> Interrupts are at least somewhat synchronized to the source, I think it
> will suffer from dropped samples otherwise.  But, at some point we have
> to take more radical measures if we don't solve it...

Like general switch from edge-triggered IRQ to level-triggered.
Edge-triggered IRQs are *NOT* suitable for physical sharing of IRQ-line, ok we
don't do this. Edge is more sensible to spikes and glitches, ok we don't see
(really?). But I expect IRQs to be locked/disabled during execution of a
IRQ-handler (usually that's even implicit in CPU's handling of IRQs), so only
level-IRQ will be noticed after we exit handler.

I consider usage of edge-trigger a major flaw in Openmoko-design at large.
Edge is used only where you can't reset the interrupt-source - like
pushbuttons etc. I.E. async. For "sync" interrupts level is method of choice.

/jOERG