What is the proper way to turn wlan on/off? Other wlan questions.

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Dec 18 14:44:46 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> It was to have been unavoidable on GTA03, the s3c6410 has a broken pin
> allocation for card detect hardware pin, you had to nudge the stack to
> tell it that a connect or disconnect action had occurred.

> But "that issue has gone away now".

Gee, so there is a bright side to it :-)

> You fancy adding this?  I guess it should do whatever it is the ioctl does.

I wonder what the rfkill semantics should be when it comes to
associating and other ioctls. The two ioctls differ slightly in
what happens inside the kernel:

wmiconfig --wlan:
- disable: de-associate and stop scanning
- enable: start scanning and associate

- disable: de-associate and stop scanning
- enable: start scanning but don't associate

wmiconfig --wlan also sets a more global state, so most operations
(ioctls, mainly) are refused (EIO) while WLAN is disabled.

If rfkill is to act just like a switch that cuts power to the RF
amp, then we'd actually a combination of the two.

- Werner