[OM2008/testing] "HZ" is wrong?

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Sat Dec 20 17:25:30 CET 2008

Vasco Névoa wrote:

> Thanks for sharing that, Billy K.
>
> I tried your package, but there isn't much difference... something else
> must be bottlenecking the system.
> I gave up after 24 hours, and I'm doing it in a laptop. :(

If you are extracting to "/media/sda<n>", then the problem may well be
that the "/media/*" mounts are all mounted with the "sync" flag.

mount -o remount,async /media/sda<n>

And try again - it should be orders of magnitude faster.

BTW, mounting sync is a Very Good thing normally, as it limits
filesystem corruption in the inevitable case of the FR crashing on you,
but the cost is that write operations are far far slower.  Also note
that if the GPS is turned on, then SD card operations will be slower still.

Mike (mwester)