GTA02 Power Glitch Reason Found

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Feb 5 10:23:58 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> Well soon there will be plenty of A5s so the old GTA02 will be
> deprecated.

Hmm, they might be handy to have around in case an A5 blows up, and
mail is slow.

> But it is a whole new ballgame

BallGAme ? ;-) Luckily the PMU isn't one of them ...

> It was a problem since GTA02 A1 where we changed to the PCF50633... it
> can explain a long list of unstable PMU behaviour

Oh yes. We also have "high speaker volume freezes the phone".

> The rework is probably going to make a headache

If there's a little bit of space, it may be pretty easy to do this in
the SMT process, by shifting components a little so that they can
share pads. Surprisingly, this sort of hack is actually supposed to
yield perfectly good connections.

By the way, do you have a picture of your rework ? My GTA02v5 might
arrive today, and a bit of soldering may be the perfect welcome :-)