Better characterization of suspend current

Andy Green andy at
Fri Feb 8 14:12:45 CET 2008

> Andy Green wrote:
>> No they would simulate a battery badly,
> Hmm, they're actually designed for precisely this purpose.
> I don't remember which critter exactly they are, but it's
> something similar to this one:

Well fair enough, the key bit about that device is

''These supplies employ a unique variable output resistance so the
voltage output can emulate a battery's response (U.S. Patent No.

But the lab supplies everyone actually uses do not have this feature
AFAIK, they're "ideal" voltage sources regardless of current.

>> But the fact everyone was using them is a bigger problem in a different
>> way -- nobody but NOBODY was testing the device behaviours with a
>> battery as it will ship.
> My GTA02 is actually running off battery  power all the time
> (because the lab supply is feeding the GTA01 ;-)

That must be a recent innovation, or you are actually running off USB
with a battery just sitting there, because GTA02 charging has never
worked AFAICT until the patches of a couple of days ago.