charging bl-5c | bl-6c

Mike (mwester) mwester at
Fri Feb 15 20:09:02 CET 2008

Michael Shiloh wrote:
> Playing the devil's advocate for our hypothetical legal department,

Ah, *those* folks; the same ones who processed the gllin drivers?  :-p  :-D

> shouldn't we only charge batteries that we have tested against and
> know the charging curve for, so that we know we won't overcharge and
> potentially cause the battery to explode? For this reason (I suspect)
> all cellphones look for the ID of the battery, and if it's not the one
> they were designed for, they refuse to charge.*
> Granted, this is an extremely paranoid point of view, and is not mine.
> Besides, since our source is open, nothing prevents anyone from find
> the code that does that test, and bypassing it.

Or better still, finding that code and replacing it with code that would
recognize the alternate batteries and changing the charging limits and
parameters as appropriate -- that to me would be the true essence of

> Assuming, of course, that this is the reason we do not charge BL-5C
> and BL-6C.
> Michael
> * Another reason is that the cellphone maker would have you buy the
> expensive battery from them, rather than the cheaper knock-off
> replacement from Radio Shack or whatever.

You'll pardon me for believing that this latter reason is almost
certainly the true reasoning for the current cellphone makers.  I think
that if the industry wished to do so, they could all have agreed on a
safe fall-back set of defaults that all devices and batteries could
accommodate safely (even if sub-optimally).

If there is a u-boot or other software thing going on, I think it would
be big marketing statement if OM could offer support for other vendor's
batteries as a built-in, standard "openness" feature...

> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>> do you think there is a way to enable charging for the Nokia BL-5C
>> and BL-6C batteries in the GTA01/02? They work fine, but for some
>> reason our PMU does not want to charge them in the device.
>> :M:

Mike (mwester)