considering the switch to 2.6.24

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 10 13:39:46 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 11:17:13AM +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> > Hi Harald,
> >
> > we're considering to switch to 2.6.24 before the upcoming GTA02
> > production. While this is somewhat risky, given that 2.6.24 is
>
> While Harald is gathering his thoughts about that, I have some things
> about 2.6.24.

sorry for the delays, I'm currently for a week at my parents place and
don't read email as frequently as I'd usually do.

I personally recommend switching to the 2.6.24 based tree before a
release, since it's much easier to do now than later.  The more you
deviate from more recent kernels, the harder it is to merge back later.

> BTW... yesterday I turned off the LCD console support on the kernel
> commandline for testing something else... wah the kernel boot flew by
> like it was on steroids.  Clearly we burn a lot of time scrolling that
> framebuffer at the moment.

yes, unfortuantely I never implemented hardware accelerated framebuffer
for the glamo driver.  Theoretically there are only a few operations
that have to be implemented (for cursor and for bit blitting) and it
should be super fast even with console enabled.  Now that Xglamo is
around, it should be fairly easy to port this functionality into the
kernel.