considering the switch to 2.6.24

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Fri Jan 11 00:04:29 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:00:53AM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> we're considering to switch to 2.6.24 before the upcoming GTA02
> production. While this is somewhat risky, given that 2.6.24 is
> still a moving target, I think the time we save by not having to
> maintain a "stable" 2.6.22 branch for months will more than make up
> for any midnight oil we may have to burn now.
>
> The idea is to determine in the next days whether that switch would
> cause any major technical upset. Andy has already solved the video
> issue, which leaves the NAND partitions as the only known regression.
>
> Do you know of any issues we should watch out for ?

no, I don't know of issues. much of my testing has been related to
GTA01, though - since merging gta01 support mainline was the primary
focus at the last time i touched the code.

> So we would now like to know what your plans with the tree are.
> Are there any major changes you plan to make in the next days that
> would interfere with evaluation and moving it over to OpenMoko
> mainline ?

No.  I'm probably going to submit the second incarnation.

> Besides that, what's the situation with upstream merges ? We should
> avoid touching patches that are already in the pipeline, and make
> any changes to them as separate patches. On the other hand, fixes
> or enhancements to patches that haven't been pushed yet should go to
> the respective patches.

Basically most of the stuff is blocked until the core machine support is
merged, which it hasn't yet.  I've incorporated many changes and will
re-submit the full series at some point next week.

> Looking at the 2.6.24 "series", I take it that the first block has
> already been successfully pushed, but what about the others. Also,
> "pending review" are problematic ones, so I suppose that means
> "review before trying to push", correct ?

if you define 'successfully' as 'most stuff has been acked by the
maintainers but it is still not in mainline' then I agree with your
assessment/observation.