mount time (was Re: Fwd: Hello -- NAND/NOR Flash design for GTA02)

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Sat Jan 12 11:36:26 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
>> By the way, I'm not sure if we have a firm plan to actually put a
>> usable rootfs on the first batch of GTA02 devices. If we follow the
>> GTA01 route ("before you start, please DFU"), this would give us
>> (and others) considerably more time to find and kill any bugs.

> Wasn't somebody telling me DFU is a burden for end users to suffer
> yesterday in another thread?

I don't know who claimed this, but let me tell you that from all
reports _I_ got through IRC and personal contacts, many device owners
_love_ our way to update the firmware. It's
* standard,
* console-friendly,
* and reliable.
Much more so than all the Windows-clients other vendors ship.

I'm not saying we shouldn't write a GUI tool for DFU, but in my
opinion DFU as a mechanism per se is wonderful.

Regards,

:M:

--
Dr. Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | IT-Freelancer | http://www.vanille-media.de