mount time (was Re: Fwd: Hello -- NAND/NOR Flash design for GTA02)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat Jan 12 11:52:15 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> Wrong horse is not totally fatal, with Milosch's PBE/initrd type system
> we can come up in a way where we didn't touch the NAND and even consider
> to reformat it "in place" with the help of a PC.

I think PBE doesn't work so easily "in the field". But if we can
get a nice environment in NOR, that would certainly make this a
lot less painful. So I see some great synergy coming from that
work.

> Wasn't somebody telling me DFU is a burden for end users to suffer
> yesterday in another thread?  ;-)

DFU alone isn't so bad (except for support of legacy platforms, if
seems), but it gets a little messy if you have to combine it with
interactive use of u-boot. That's also where a "regular" Linux
environment would help - it's almost ridiculously easy to script
everything.