2.6.24-rc7 update status

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Jan 16 01:12:06 CET 2008

Hi all,

I've merged the patches from the 2.6.22.5 tree and from GIT into our
2.6.24.x tree. The patches, build script, and defconfig are under
http://svn.openmoko.org/branches/src/target/kernel/2.6.24.x/
The base kernel is 2.6.24-rc7. (The only things I didn't merge are
patches that aren't to the kernel proper, such as local helper
scripts, and Andy's "hackin' and slashing'" current work patch.)

I did some quick checking of the main components of my GTA02v3, and
most things behave as expected. Details:

- NAND: works
- NOR: works
- USB: works
- LCM: works
- touch screen: doesn't work (might be my hardware)
- audio: not tested
- GSM: not tested
- BT: not tested (hardware not present)
- GPS: not tested
- WLAN: initialization fails (see below)
- LEDs: not tested
- buttons: not tested
- vibrator: not tested
- SD/MMC: driver isn't ready yet
- accelerometer: driver isn't ready yet

I tried 2.6.22.5, and the touch screen didn't work there either.
So perhaps it's just my hardware misbehaving. Can anyone with a
GTA02 please verify ?

The WLAN came up partially:

  sdio_wlan 00:01: SDIO device, IDs SD_0001 (active)
  Unsupported configuration opcode: 3
  Unsupported configuration opcode: 5
  ar6000_available
  ar6000_init() Got WMI @ 0xc7d2b800.
   Timeout waiting for recv message
   Target Not Available!!
  ar6000_avail: register_netdev failed
  unregister_netdevice: device eth0/c7ea0000 never was registered
  WARNING: at net/core/dev.c:3523 rollback_registered()

I'm not sure if this is expected behaviour with my old (FW 1.3 ?)
module. Samuel ?

Alas, 2.6.24.x doesn't boot on GTA01 (the kernel doesn't output
anything, so it probably dies very early), and it seems that this
was already broken before the latest merge.

The GTA01 breakage means that we can't switch our main tree over to
2.6.24 yet. However, I'd suggest we switch to working on the 2.6.24
tree now, and only make changes to 2.6.22 if they fix something
really really devastatingly bad.

I don't think I'll have time in the next 1-2 days to try to make
2.6.24 work on GTA01, so if someone else wants to try, please feel
free :-)

Once we know that there are no major regressions, we can switch
trees.