u-boot 1.3.x and qemu-openmoko

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:02:18 CET 2008

On 16/01/2008, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Devirginizer is a script (or at least was one year ago when I looked
> at it) so it has no access to things like menu. AFAIU it loads the
> u-boot into memory through JTAG, then instructs the CPU to jump to
> u-boot entry point through JTAG and expects u-boot to now wait for
> commands on the serial port - qemu flash.sh script does the same. Then
> to flash an image to NAND, it loads it into RAM through JTAG and
> issues "nand write.jffs2 ..." to u-boot.
>
> Qemu flash.sh could also require the user to go through the menu first
> but that's not very pretty.

Ok, I was now explained by Werner on IRC about another way to have
u-boot execute a script non-interactively that's used by devirginator
and which I had not made use of in flash.sh. That is by patching the
u-boot binary before executing it. There's a standard location in the
u-boot image which, if written with a pointer to a script in memory
will cause u-boot to run the script first.

I will change flash.sh to do that too some time. For the moment please
use a u-boot 1.2.x for the flashing. After flash.sh finishes you can
swap the u-boot versions back.

Cheers