GTA01 shared UART vs. flow control (bug #788)

Mike Westerhof mwester at dls.net
Tue Jan 22 14:12:59 CET 2008

 On Tue 22/01/08  3:50 AM , Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org sent:
[snip]
> In the bugzilla thread, two patches have been submitted that try
> to solve 2). One is fairly straightforward but misses the case
> where flow control is enabled with GSM_EN set to the console. The
> other one handles this case, but is complex and intrusive.

As we embark on this discussion, can somone please define "intrusive" for me?  I know I've asked this before regarding this (and other) patches, but nobody has ever answered it.  Feel free to point me to appropriate kernel docs or such for the criteria.

It strikes me as a completely relative term, which makes the evaluation of solutions for this problem largely subjective -- which isn't going to get this bug killed anytime soon.

I'll wait to hear what others have to say on this problem, as I rather feel I've stated the case, and in my opinion the best (if ugly) *practical* solution has been presented and defended.

(The correct, although *impractical* solution, is to put the missing pullups or pulldowns on the mux so that the console flow-control lines are in the correct state to make this entire problem a total non-problem.)

Mike (mwester)