GTA01 shared UART vs. flow control (bug #788)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Jan 22 15:46:46 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> This problem is GTA01 -only?

Yes.

> Why don't we pick the most complete solution and accept that we have to
> carry it as our own patch until a better way is found?

The discussion is about what constitutes a complete solution :)

What we have now is:

1) a relatively simple but known to be incomplete solution, which
   may indeed trip up in real life,
2) a more complex one that we'll never be able to merge upstream
   in its present form,
3) and a proposal for an entirely different approach that should
   avoid either limitation.

To me, 2) seems to have too poor a cost/benefit ratio to be a candiate
for a patch we want to maintain locally forever, with the cost being
fragility and having unmergeable code in the first place, and the
benefit being what it offers beyond 3).

I've proposed a simple solution that should solve the problem for
all practical purposes. So unless a flaw is found in that approach,
I wouldn't want anything that's worse and/or causes more problems.

(Of course, given the controvery around the other approaches towards
solving this, I had to propose something different. How else could
I make sure to equally offend everyone ? ;-)