JFFS2 noise okay or a problem?

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat Jan 26 20:26:22 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:48:48 +0000
> [    4.830000] Empty flash at 0x05d64a08 ends at 0x05d65000

I got these with a rootfs made for GTA01. Flash geometry is different in
GTA02, and mkfs.jffs2 has to use the correct erase and write block sizes,
or you get that sort of complaints.

> Initially these Empty flash notices disappeared entirely after using the
> canned filesystem from Werner, now there seems to be more of them.  But
> it is true I am randomly resetting the board all day.

Hmm, you probably flashed some different rootfs, which wasn't for GTA02.
My "canned" rootfs isn't a particularly good one, i.e., it still has the
"environment killer" bug, so I wouldn't recommend it as anything but a
reference for what you get with correct mkfs settings.

If you get such errors also with a "good" rootfs, then we'd have a new
problem at our hands, though.

For reference, these are the "good" settings:

  mkfs.jffs2 --eraseblock=0x20000 --pagesize=0x800 --no-cleanmarkers \
    --little-endian --pad -o rootfs.jffs2 -d ./rootfs
  sumtool --eraseblock=0x20000 --no-cleanmarkers \
    --littleendian --pad -i rootfs.jffs2 -o srootfs.jffs2

(BTW, notice --little-endian vs. --littleendian. In surprises we trust ;-)