Boot menu for u-boot (GTA02)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Jan 30 15:46:11 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> Wow was that even worth considering to do?

Well, it *looked* easy ... :-)

> This is just U-Boot, we can live without accelerated graphics *boggle*

Yeah. The problem was that the old method of clearing the screen
by scrolling was extremely slow on the GTA02. It looks kinda cool
on the GTA01, but since the Glamo has very poor bandwidth for
unaccelerated operations, bringing up the boot menu would take
something like an entire minute.

The reason I used scrolling instead of just clearing the screen
in the first place was that I didn't want to go into the guts of
u-boot's FB driver. But as it turned out, that was almost trivial.

So yes, one night lost going down the wrong rathole ...