Big update in stable / nspy and serial fixes

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Thu Jul 3 16:23:55 CEST 2008

| First I like it and am willing to have it if it is going to lead to
| serial stability.  That's why it's in andy branch so anyone can have it
| from there.
|
|> Yes, but nobody but a couple of developers builds that, so no images
|> actually use the kernel.  Honestly, developers don't need the fixes

I think a few more folks use it in fact.

|> because they're not trying to make the phone work as a phone -- it's the
|> users who need this, and if we're not going to make these changes
|> available in the base kernel built and distributed with each image, then
|> there's really no point, is there?

Hum well, I think you're plugging what I am saying into previous
frustrations and assuming it's all one situation, it isn't.  I am very
open to getting the fixes at least into stable.  But the 17 patches are
just one blob to me at the moment (see the end).

| ~ - preprocessor based.  It's a bit heavy given how many spy actions
| there are.
|
|> Again, the nspy part is but 3 of the entire patchset that got dumped
|> out.  I think it's rather useful, but if this all it takes to keep it

Great, why don't we forget about nspy stuff for now.  Nothing is "dumped
out", it just didn't get copied into stable tree yet.  The stable tree
bothers me because it is meant to be "fast-forward only", I can play
fast and loose with andy since I rewrite its history every update.  But
if there are going to be architectural changes or large upheavals on a
patchset I don't want to have to do it on stable if I can avoid it.

| ~ - forces s3c24xx serial code to know about "gta" (should never appear
| in there)
|
|> Sorry, there's no other way to do it.  The GTA console code MUST know
|> that it is suppressed, for reasons I have covered, over -- and over --
|> and over -- and over again.  We can probably implement some horrible

I don't doubt it has to know, but there is more than one way to skin
that cat.

|> As you can tell, I'm both extremely busy right now with my real job, and
|> I'm about out of patience.  I've reworked this stuff several times now,

Well, let me take a closer look with this "nspy is only 3 of my 17
patches" in mind.  The invasive aspect of nspy is the biggest problem,
if we move that out for another time it will only help.