Proposal: "debug" branch for the kernel

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Wed Jul 9 04:34:05 CEST 2008

I think perhaps we can find a better way to proceed on at least some of
these philosophical disagreements by providing choices.

I propose that OM create a debug branch that tracks the stable branch,
which would be a place for patches or defconfig changes who's purpose is
to facilitate debugging sorts of activities (ask "is this change going
to be removed in the released kernel?").

This would offer distros (and ultimately users) a choice of kernels to run.

This would also offer developers with different opinions about changes
to choose to work on a branch that best suits their needs.  Less time
spent arguing and reworking patches can only improve productivity, and
ultimately the distros (and users) will choose which kernel they prefer.

Mike (mwester)