Backup battery discharged -> GTA01 and GTA02 dead

Andy Green andy at
Sat Jul 19 14:54:26 CEST 2008

| Will a backup battery voltage of 0.4V or 0.7V instead of 2.0V cause a
| GTA01 or GTA02 to appear to be completely dead and never power on?

Not directly... if your main battery is really discharged it can make
the trouble, and the backup battery state is just a side-effect of that.

If you can bring the battery level up enough to get started, it will
start and commence to charge normally.  For example, a second battery
that is not discharged.  I cannot recommend anyone does it, but I found
that connection from USB V+ to battery V+ during startup will do it.
This briefly pulls >500mA from the USB host and could conceivably do bad
things, so I am not recommending it, just filling you in.

We have plans to provide software updates that disallow the main battery
from getting discharged enough under normal circumstances to get into
this trap.