Backup battery discharged -> GTA01 and GTA02 dead

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat Jul 19 19:12:48 CEST 2008

I wrote:
> No, it shouldn't have such an effect. But your description does
> make me wonder if a sufficiently discharged backup battery might
> actually pull down some internal rail in the PMU. That would be
> nasty. I'll see if I can create such a scenario.

I put a 100 Ohm resistor in parallel to the backup battery in my
GTA02v5, which brought it down to about 20mV and dropping. (Internal
battery impedance should be around 500 Ohm, but can be much higher.)

The system booted flawlessly.

Good. One scary theory less :-)

Still don't know what's going on in your systems, though.