RFC: blow Ethernet-over-USB into a module

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Wed Jul 30 21:03:50 CEST 2008

> P.S. I don't see the benefit of modules in an embedded device. You
> know all the drivers and functionality you need to support the
> device already. What do you gain by making them modules as opposed
> to compiling them into the kernel? initialization ordering?

we can have a configuration where gadget_audio is loaded (as a
module), for example, which means for the duration of that
configuration 'session' the freerunner is looking/feeling like a sound
card to the PC with which it has a USB connection .. then unload that
module, load up gadget_ether to pretend to be a usb-ethernet device,
then next session load up gadget_hid and make the freerunner appear to
be a very well-lit trackpad, buttonboard (po' mans optimus upravlator,
anyone?), and so on.  having these loadable modules means that
gadget_* drivers don't get in the way of each other and the
functionality can be switched easier.  i imagine a very simple
interface to give the user multiple ways of turning the freerunner
into a gadget peripheral .. would be greatly simplified if these
things are exposed as modules to the interface.

;
--
Jay Vaughan