my work about KBOOT

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Jun 5 12:34:04 CEST 2008

Am Do  5. Juni 2008 schrieb Andy Green:

> (removed xiangfu from cc list so we don't confuse him)
>
> | As posted before: I hooked up usb-charger, selected "power down" from the
> | (surely outdated) boot-menu, and ended with a DRAINED BATTERY while on
> | usb-charger!
>
> Power control in U-Boot doesn't even deal with interrupts from PMU, no
> surprise there are funnies, and "gaps".
>
> Gee, if only for future products someone could think of a way to remove
> responsibility for PMU and charging from the CPU and hand it off to
> something that was dedicated, consistent and always-on.  But we can't
> think of any way to do that!  Oh well.  Let's port pcf50633.c to U-Boot
> instead.

Andy, I have a great idea. Maybe we should consider to have a dedicated low
power controller device to care about things like this, at least for
>=04 !? :-) ;-) Probably you could create a paper outlining some of the
benefits of such an approach, to convince the guys who do cost and risk
management.
I think it's worth it. And we seem to have quite some time to do so.

cheers
jOERG