Lack of Specifications (was my work...)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Jun 6 13:15:14 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> OK another s3c2442 it is then.  Maybe one more to make sure.

I was actually thinking of something from one of the ST STR7xx
families :-)

> I think the actual problem here is lack of a detailed spec, a solid
> goal.  We're flying by the seat of our pants in all areas based on where
> we are, not where we are going.

Yes, it's becoming a major problem. Openmoko isn't a tiny startup with
all the specs firmly in the hand (or head) of mainly one engineer
anymore.

I think it would be good to start with a spec of GTA02. That spec
could be easily compared to the real product, and we could also probe
whether it indeed has the right level of detail.

Then this could be evolved to GTA03, GTA04, etc. As an added bonus,
since the specs of future products would be based on a spec for a
product we know well, one could just follow the deltas to see where
old assumptions have been changed, thus making it less likely to miss
critical changes.