Lack of Specifications (was my work...)

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Fri Jun 6 17:05:45 CEST 2008

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 09:14:56 +0100 Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> babbled:

indeed - but the question is.. not going forward, but what do we have NOW.
freerunner is the end result of some wonderful inbreeding from an originally
windows mobile phone product not actually intended to run linux or anything
open - but it does now. you'd be right for... gta04 or beyond, but as long as
the spec ALSO defines your hardware... it's un-fun to try and meet it by..
changing hardware :)

i don't disagree - don't get me wrong. i'm just being morose and just saying
"well... this is what we have... what is the easiest thing to change right
now... hardware? low level firmware? or a spec someone has come up with
recently? :)

absolutely - in the future spec and hardware should be a thing that is an
interactive process - spec is there, hardware says "we can/can't do it and how
it can be done, and what it will cost". same with software. cost is just the
way of saying "it can't b done, but man that feature is going to cost a fortune
to add". or featues are no-brainers. who knows. depends on the spec.

in the end hardware affects the spec, and the spec affects hardware. you don't
have a one-way street.