My Gta02s wont charge

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Jun 19 03:24:15 CEST 2008

Sean McNeil wrote:
> You do not need a battery to run the phone. It will run off USB power.

Some do, some don't. E.g., I never got any GTA02 (out of 1-2 samples)
to run from USB power for more than a few seconds.

Regarding charging, the big issue seems to be that we turn off the
charger if we don't have USB power. The PMU remembers that setting
while it has any power at all. Thus, if the battery is empty and the
charger happens to be turned off, USB power is simply ignored.

So far the theory. I've tried to actually confirm that behaviour (so
that I could observe an improvement after changing the logic), but
only got more or less random results, with the system occasionally
not charging when it should, and (quite often) happily powering up
when I didn't expect it to :-(

So there seems to be more going on than meets the eye.