andy git 06/15 suspend/resume observations

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Thu Jun 19 22:44:58 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:

> | Some deadlock would fit well, something spinning for some reason, I
> | wonder what happens if we blow a NULL pointer exception at that time, a
> | full panic or the kind of "I just killed that driver" thing that happens
> | in normal Linux?
>
> Oooh interesting, if I force a NULL exception
>
>     int *p = NULL;
>     printk(KERN_ERR "die on a null %d\n", *p);
>
> in the neo1973-pm-gsm resume function, I get the behaviour Sean reports,
> does not complete resume, usb0 responds to pings, did not panic.

There's not a whole lot to cause an NPD exception there, but it
certainly offers a clue that something may be awry, if not in that
driver at least in one nearby (in the temporal sense).

With the latest kernel, I get wonderful resumes -- almost all of the
time.  But once in a while, usually when I've forgotten about the phone
and I come back to it after 30 minutes or more, then it fails to resume.
 Requires the battery to be pulled to come back...

Mike (mwester)