NOR boot: always enter the boot menu ?

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat Mar 1 03:47:31 CET 2008

Right now, there are four different ways how one can boot:

1) just hit POWER: default boot from NAND
2) press POWER, then hold AUX: boot u-boot from NAND, then enter the
   boot menu
3) hold AUX, then press POWER: boot from NOR, then enter the boot menu
4) hold AUX, press POWER, then quickly release AUX: load u-boot from
   NOR, then try to do a default boot

Option 4) doesn't look terribly useful, since we'd use NOR mainly in
exceptional situations anyway, and it can be quite confusing if AUX is
accidently released. Would anyone object if I'd change u-boot to always
enter the boot menu if booting from NOR ? (That is, with the u-boot
that's pre-installed. Anyone with a debug v3 board can of course change
that.)