Debug board v2 (the one from the advanced GTA01 kit)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat Mar 1 08:20:45 CET 2008

Karsten Ensinger wrote:
> What will we (the owner of the debug board v2) miss, when we try
> to use it in combination with the new Freerunner?

You won't be able to replace/upgrade the content of the NOR. The
NOR contains a "known to be good" copy of u-boot that can be used
for recovery when the u-boot in NAND is damaged.

Chances are that you'll never really _need_ to do that, as long as
you're happy with the general architecture we have now. However,
if we, say, replace u-boot with kboot, recovery with u-boot in NOR
may be harder work than with a kboot-based system there as well.

(All this is theoretical - we haven't started any work towards
changing that yet.)

Of course, if you have your own ideas of what should go into NOR,
you'd also want a v3 debug board.

If you think you can aim well enough to solder a wire on exacly one
of the pins of the FPC connector on the debug board, you could also
try to rework your board to pull that line high.

The v3 board has some other benefits, such as giving access to a
few more signals (I2C and SPI).