Starting on openmoko-kernel

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Tue Mar 4 07:06:18 CET 2008

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to help openmoko-kernel on usb and mmc development.
> I'm the one responsible for usb otg on nokia internet tablets and member
> of usb otg working group so I have a good experience on that.

Sounds great!

> The problem is that I can't get an openmoko device anymore, any ideas
> when will it be available again ? Is there a way to get it so I can help
> the project ?

Soon these new GTA02 devices will be produced, they are scheduled for
April I believe.

> BTW, why not maintaining a gittree for this kernel ?
>
> that quilt series is really hard to maintain.

Amen brother.  The quilt stuff (I call them "mokopatches") will soon be
deprecated in favour of all git.  But I already maintain a git tree for
a couple of months here:

http://git.openmoko.org/?p=kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=andy

Note that it is layered, so master is kernel.org 2.6.24, mokopatches
branch adds the quilt blobs, and the "andy" branch on top has my current
stuff.  That branch keeps getting emptied into mokopatches currently via
posting for review to this list, so there is a varying amount of stuff
there despite plenty has gone through it.

> Also, that mini-b receptacle on the device should be changed to a
> micro-AB if we wanna otg working:
> 	1. Mini connectors/receptacles are obsolete and openmoko won't
> 	get usb certification with that receptacle
> 	2. OTG has to be done using a micro-AB receptacle, it's
> 	mandatory.

Wah also note we currently abuse the ID pin I believe for charger
detection (a resistor to 0V is present in the 1A-capable charger that
hooks to the mini USB port).  But I'm not sure I see that changing for
GTA02.

> Anyways, how can I help ? How can I be helped on getting an openmoko
> advanced kit ??

I will ask about it but in the worst case in can be April.

Very nice to see you are interested to work on this subsystem!